Wild Yeast Isolated

This past summer I collected some berries and plopped them into a small sample of wort. One sample was filled with wild raspberries and the other had black berries. After a few days the samples began to ferment. I took these samples to a local yeast lab (Escarpment Labs) and had them isolated. In all two strains of Saccharomyces as well as what is thought to be Hanseniaspora uvarum were discovered. One of the Saccharomyces was able to ferment a wort of 1.052 down to 1.000 in just 7 days! I will soon be picking up some test samples and fermenting with them. I plan to brew an “All Ontario” Saison with the powerhouse Saccharomyces. Yeast had an apparent attention of Over 95%! The yeast has been unofficially named Gildemeester ale yeast.

All Ontario Farm Ale

Grist:

  • 8 Lbs. Barn Owl Lager Malt
  • 2 Lbs. Barn Owl Munich Malt
  • Mash in with a thickness of 1.6
  • pH of 5.35
  • SO42-/Cl of 2.0

Starting mash temp 113 and ramp up to 148 over 45 min.
Rest for additional 40 min before raising temp to 168 for 10 min
Fly sparge at 168 with 4.5 gal of distilled water.

Boil:

  • 60 min add 2 oz Ontario Crystal 3.21% AA
  • 15 min 1 whirlfloc tablet
  • 15 min add add 1 oz Ontario Crystal 3.21% AA

Chill to 68 and collect 6 gal of wort.
Pitch MWY001 (Blackberry Saccharomyces) at a rate of 750000 cells/ml/P.
Leave in primary for 21 days.
7 days before packaging dry hop with 1 oz Ontario Crystal 3.21% AA
Package and carbonate with 3 vols.

Targets:

  • OG 1.048
  • FG 1.001
  • ABV 6.2
  • SRM 5.75
  • IBU 28

Brewing of this ale will happen mid-late December and, will be enjoyed in the new years.

After this Saturday I will have finished brewing the first version of my house stout, IPA and Belgian golden ale. The BSDA on Brett is slowly fermenting away. RIS is coming out of the barrel, lambic is going in this Saturday. I plan to brew 3 batches next month instead of the standard 4-5.

Cheers,
MD

Over 200 lbs of Grain

Just did a massive bulk order of grains to save a couple bucks down the road. 1 sack Chateau Pilsen malt, 1 sack Thomas Fawcett Pearl, 2 sacks Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter and a 1/4 sack of OiO toasted oat flakes. These sacks should help me really narrow down my core 3 beers I want to have at the brew pub. An Oatmeal stout, a Belgian golden ale and a NE IPA.

The next brews I have planned are as follows: This weekend NE IPA V2.0, Oatmeal stout V1,  barley/wheat/rye wine (cannot decide what grain to use yet), A kellerbier (my first lager) and lastly Belgian golden ale V1.1. In that time I will have bottled my barrel aged RIS, filled the barrel with the lambic I just brewed this past weekend, bottled and served the beer for Pencil Kit Productions and, bottled the Irish red I made with my cousin for his school project

So 2 weekends ago after I got back from Royal City I met up with my cousin and brewed up an Irish red ale for a school project he is doing. They have to do research on Ireland for architecture. Somehow he got the go ahead to make Irish style beer for his university class. This past weekend I brewed up a lambic beer doing a traditional turbid mash and long boil. took me 9 hours to get it into the conical for fermentation.

Cider fermentation is coming along well. Already have some good flavours developing after just a few weeks. Barrel aged beers are coming along nicely. Again a busy month but I’m starting to get more and more into the grove of it.

Cheers,
MD